Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday Five: Friday the 13th

A cute meme from Sophia today:


"With thanks to my dear spouse TechnoGuy for the great suggestion, it's a Friday the 13th Friday Five!

1. How is this Friday the 13th looking for you?

Actually, wet. Very wet. We're getting the remnants of Hurricane Ida along the MidAtlantic coast, and it is pouring outside and has been for a couple of days. The clogged outflow pipe in the basement added to the overall wetness last night, as PH and I spent a good hour or so mopping up. The plumber came to snake out the line this morning - here's hoping it solves the problem.

2. Have you ever had anything unlucky happen on Friday the 13th?

Not in my memory.

3. Did your family of origin embrace or scorn superstitions?

My mother was a tad superstitious (don't put new shoes on the table, a crow on the roof means death is coming). Surprising, because she was by and large a very analytical person, and a devout Catholic. My father, not at all. When people spoke of superstitions, it was usually women doing the talking. I wonder why? Are we more in touch with the numinous?


4. Are there any unique or amusing ones from your family, region, or ethnic background?

The shoe one is the best. I can't recall what was supposed to happen, just that we were never supposed to do it. I can certainly understand not putting used shoes on the table, given what we all walk through in them, but new shoes? Just doesn't make much sense.

5. Do you love or hate horror movies like "Friday the 13th"?

I hate all horrow movies. I was a suggestible child, and always sensed monsters under the bed or hiding in the closet. Movies that put pictures to my fears were and are not pleasant to me!

1 comment:

Diane said...

I love this. My daughter was born on Friday the 13th in Labor and Delivery Room Number 13. The luckiest day of my life:)