Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Can Do No Other

St Middle School is a wonderful place that has been extraordinarily welcoming to gay and lesbian folks. They (the GLBT people) have wondered aloud why we've said so little about the church's position on homosexuality, and have often felt that we pussyfooted around the elephant in the room.

They were right.

So the sermon this Sunday (on David wanting to build God a house) will, among other things, address resolution D025, referenced in the post below. I'll be talking about God having new things to say to us every day, and how our understanding of God's will evolves, since we can't know God completely on this mortal coil. And how sometimes we get it right, and sometimes we get it wrong (No, I don't need a house for the ark.) And how fights in the church on matters of theological and scriptural interpretation have dated back to Peter and Paul, and will not end anytime soon. And that's okay.

The complicating factor in all this, of course, is that this is the Sunday that some folks are coming to hear me preach. They're looking for a new rector, and thus far they like me a lot. Still, a sermon like this, which is so much what my parishioners need to hear (I think), is a high-risk proposition to put out before a visiting search committee.

In its early draft phase right now, I think I'm managing to offer some information, some good theology to chew on, and hope no matter where one is on the theolical spectrum. Still, it's a risk.

But if this is what is necessary in this time and this place, the Search Committee will either roll with it or hate it. If they hate it, I suspect that is not the place for me.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Lauralew said...

Go for it. You have to speak the truth, and if that is not acceptable, then it isn't the place for you.

Anonymous said...

"But sometimes, as painful as it may be, it is important to do what is difficult and right rather than to strive for unity at all costs."

A quote from the Rev Mibi