Monday, September 10, 2007

Another Day, Another Pile of . . . Confusion

It was a mixed-blessing kind of day. Started off with Homiletics, and gave my little three-minute sermon on Ps 139. It was very well-received, although as I was preaching, I could think of five other things I wished I had done with it. Afterwards I went to the library to work on my sermon for a week from Sunday (Luke 16:1-13) and got most of a first draft done. It's got some good stuff in it, but it turns to thin gruel at the end. Come, Holy Spirit, come!

We had our first Seminary Choir practice today. I was the only soprano. Sheesh! Gotta recruit some others.

Church History was a gas; this prof's lectures are so well-constructed, I want to weep. If someone had told me I'd adore Church History, I'd say never. So glad I got to be in his last semester of teaching before he goes to be a parish priest. Tomorrow is small-group section for the class, and I'm jazzed about it.

My Pastoral Care through Contemplative Listening Class was also wonderful today. I went into it late in the afternoon feeling tired and unenthusiastic, and we started with centering prayer and then went into some interesting practica and a great lecture. Got my juices going again.

I had grand plans to go to yoga this afternoon, but a friend needed a jump-start and I was running late, so after the car adventure I just came home and spent two hours being frustrated by the office computer. That, of course, cut into my Systematics reading time.

Systematics is still a dark alleyway for me. I'm generally getting the drift of the readings, because the prof groups them in a very logical way that illumines their common themes, but I can't say I feel any sense of mastery of the material. It may come. It may not. I just hope it doesn't come in an utterly wrong or heretical way...

I must confess me of my sins.

When the reading in Systematics gets me too bumfuzzled, I play a game of Solitaire on the computer.

It's either that or more chocolate. Solitaire seems the healthier choice.

No comments: