Monday, August 03, 2009

Shaking my Head

I just finished filling out the forms for the criminal background check for one of the jobs I'm shortlisted for. Of course, they want to know everything about you including whether you double-parked the night of the prom and whether you forgot to return a library book in 6th grade. One of the forms to be filled out is to authorize a credit check.

I understand this - a priest who is in money trouble could abscond with the collection plate one Sunday or something. Probably couldn't get very far on the cash, but it's a concern.

I can joke about it because we have been meticulous about living within our means and our credit is sterling.

Imagine my dismay, then, when the phone just rang and it was a debt collection agency. "No, not now," I thought - "I don't want to battle a spurious debt while I'm trying to get a background check cleared!"

No, it wasn't for me.

It was for the brother of my ex-husband. I haven't been married to my ex for 15 years. The brother lives on the opposite coast. I haven't seen him since my adult kids were in braces.

"Do you know how to contact him?"

Not likely. Oy.

No comments: