Friday, August 28, 2009

Insomnia

A friend who now lives far away mentioned on FB that she is suffering from terrible insomnia.

My heart aches for her. It is a miserable thing, being unable to sleep. I've had bouts of it, particularly when I was worried or depressed, and I've had times when - because of medication - I simply could not get to sleep or stay asleep without sleeping pills. It's better now, for which I am profoundly grateful to God and my doctors.

Occasionally, once again, I wake at 2 or 3 am with the middle of the night Restless Thought Syndrome, and wander into StrongOpinions' bedroom to watch the wasteland that is 2 am television or read a bit. Sometimes I'll knit, sometimes I'll pray, sometimes I'll simply stare at the ceiling in the dark.

But it is a lonely thing, this not being able to sleep, and the dark hours are not kind to the spirit.

So please say a prayer for her, for sleep, for peace of mind about whatever troubles her, for her soul's rest.

No comments: