Monday, April 27, 2009

Mondays Aren't Always a Drag!

I delivered the final final of the thesis to my Advisor's box this morning. I don't know whether she will do any last edits, but as far as I am concerned it is done. The beast ended up being 86 pages. Over 200 footnotes. Advisor has already told me what my grade will be (yes, I am smiling about it) and that should guarantee that I will graduate with honors. Sweet. A lot of hard work and some scary health challenges over these past few years, and I still managed to pull it out. God is good.

I'm glad I did the thesis, and I'm equally glad it's over.

I celebrated by swapping out the winter and summer clothes, getting the car's emissions inspection done along with the repair of the emergency flashers, getting the car washed, and having a pedicure with hot pink polish. Life is good.

I've got some work to do for the Young Adult Ministry class - will do some ethnographic work in a neighborhood near here on Thursday and I'm in the midst of writing a resource guide for working with LGBTQ young people in the parish, but I'm quite close to being done.

One of my most gifted classmates (class leader, proven fundraising track record, lovely wife and little son, articulate, bright) and I had a long conversation about the job search. He doesn't have a job yet either, while all around us there are folks with more modest gifts gainfully employed. I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that my friend - a world-class networker - hasn't found anything yet either. All I know is that the church is doing a pretty poor job of helping seminarians find their first call, and that's a shame. But you've heard this from me before, so I'll be quiet now.

The end-of-year celebrations are beginning to start - tea with the Dean, special commissioning services, etc. I'm ready for this phase of my life to gradually come to a close. I'm also ready for something new...and I'll be so happy when I know what it is!

In any case, how can I do anything but smile with hot pink toenails?

No comments: