Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Five: Windows of the Soul

A great and lovely Friday Five from my RevGal buddy Sophia:

1. What color are your beautiful eyes? Did you inherit them from or pass them on to anyone in your family?

Deep brown. Since I am adopted and never had the opportunity to meet my birthparents, I don't know, but since brown is genetically dominant, I expect at least one or both of them had brown eyes. My eyes are like my adoptive parents', though. Nature? Nurture?

2. What color eyes would you choose if you could change them?

I would love to have violet eyes, romantic creature that I am. StrongOpinions has hazel/greenish eyes, and they are beautiful as well.

3. Do you wear glasses or contacts? What kind? Like 'em or hate 'em?

Glasses. Progressive bifocals. A Necessary Evil.

4. Ever had, or contemplated, laser surgery? Happy with the results?

I had PRK ( a forerunner to LASIK) in 1997 and got excellent results. Unfortunately, when I got MS, the first event was optic neuritis. That affected my vision because of neurological damage, and overrode the surgical correction. It is something that cannot be corrected by laser surgery or by lens correction, which really is a drag.

5. Do you like to look people in the eye, or are you more eye-shy?

I do like to look people in the eye, but I have learned that makes some folks uncomfortable, particularly in some other cultures, so I try to be sensitive to that.

Bonus question: Share a poem, song, or prayer that relates to eyes and seeing.

"His Eye Is On The Sparrow." The very first funeral that I presided over was of a tiny infant. The baby's eleven year old cousin sang it, exquisitely. It reminded me - once again - that God sees what our feeble eyes cannot, and God knows our hidden needs.

1 comment:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Oh, beautiful song pick--we just sang it at my great-aunt's funeral.

Prayers for your health situation.