Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Youch

Too long of a day, and I've got a freakin' headache.

We have bunches of alums at the seminary for alum convocation. They are dears, except for one or two who seem to be having bad days. One of these was prominent in Morning Prayer this morning for reading a nanosecond behind everyone else, loudly, and for making highly critical comments about the lectors, loudly. Could be general crabbiness, could be early stage Alzheimer's, could be anger at Gene Robinson's impending visit, which is prominently advertised around campus. Sort of took the glow off of a lovely Morning Prayer, though. I hope he feels better having gotten it out of his system.

A delight to see some old friends who've graduated.

This afternoon, we had Juan Williams, the NPR commentator, give a lecture on the portrayal of religious issues in the media. I would have adored this, except it was freezing cold in the auditorium, and I was sleepy. Yes, give me some cheese with that whine.

One of the good things about this is that we're getting much fancier food at lunchtime in the refectory (and white tablecloths). It also gives us a break from some of the regular classes, since we are encouraged to attend the lectures. We still had to muddle through the Church History small section, a short Systematics class, and Conversational Spanish. One of the profs is taking Spanish with us, and we both bemoan the fact that we tend to revert to Italian when we get nervous.

The downside is that there is virtually no quiet place to read or write on campus, so tonight may be a long reading night. I got a first draft of my next sermon for Homiletics and the Field Ed site done. I don't much like it right now, but that's what revisions are for.

I think I need to go to sleep early. I got up at 5:30 this morning to finish off Athanasius' "On the Incarnation." I'm whupped. Feeling every bit of my cincuenta y cinco anos ahora.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

sounds like a full day! and I would be whupped too.

However, I think it would have been wonderful to hear and see Juan Williams!