Sunday, April 11, 2010

Farewells


Last night was another in our list of good-bye events. Folks from my sponsoring parish, the place where PH and I met and were married, gathered for a lovely party.

On Friday night, we were feted at the adios party thrown by Saint Middle School for us. One of my farewell gifts was Deacon Gabrielle, pictured at right. They decided I could use an extra pair of hands at my new call at Church by the Lakeside. Gabrielle has a whole backstory (daughter of parents who served as missionaries in Indonesia, experience at several churches in Ohio and Maryland...) too adorable! Gifted Parishioner, who makes all the vestments and altar paraments for Saint Middle School, crafted Gabrielle's vestments, inspired by the fabulously vested Rev. Barbie of St. Barbara's by the Sea in Malibu. Other lovely gifts, too, for which I am so grateful, but mostly I'm grateful for the time I've spent in both these communities. They were part of what molded me into the person I am today. There will be two more such events, one at PH's church and another party with PH's work colleagues.

Last night, a friend reminded me of an "alto lunch" - at that point I was still singing in the alto section in the choir - when I had started dating PH, where the assembled group grilled me through the entire lunch about PH. They wanted to see if he was good enough for me. Of course at the same time, PH's cousins in the area were grilling him as to whether or not I was good enough for him! A delight to remember those times and those stories.

That, I think, is one of the gifts of these farewell gatherings. They bring to the forefront of our memories the stories that we most need to cherish of time and relationship and love. Bittersweet, these parting get-togethers, but worth it for these moments and this love.

And the Midori martinis weren't too bad, either!

No comments: