Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday meanderings

Lots of good stuff going on right now, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

  • A wedding of two delightful young people on Saturday night. This will be a Big Production wedding, but nestled in the middle of all that fuss are a man and a woman who deeply love each other, understand what a blessing and a challenge marriage can be, and want God to bless them. 
  • Remarkably, the wedding consultant is a delight. A little obsessive-compulsive, which is probably a job requirement, but she clearly understands what is her job and what is mine, and asks the right questions. Would that all wedding consultants were like this....
  • Three baptisms for Sunday. What better way to celebrate Father's Day than to ask for our Heavenly Father's blessing on these three beautiful little ones?
  • Time to take PH out for a Father's Day brunch...there is no thing as "only a step-father." He helped form my children into the wonderful adults they have become, and helped me keep perspective when I needed it, especially during their teen years. He loves them as if they were of his own body. We are blessed.
  • Next week, a week of continuing ed courtesy of the Lilly Foundation. I'll be up at VTS for the final session of the Second Three Years Program. It is a nice punctuation mark at the end of this part of my formation. In the fall, I will commence a DMin program at Columbia Theological Seminary, where I am really looking forward to working with Pamela Cooper-White. I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of my seminary peeps, and I'm also looking forward to making new friends with my DMin cohort.

 Quote for the day, courtesy of my good friend Ben, from the wonderful Evelyn Underhill: 
"Try to arrange things so that you can have a reasonable bit of quiet every day and do not be scrupulous and think it selfish to make a decided struggle for this. You are obeying God's call and giving Him the opportunity to teach you what He wants you to know, and so make you more useful to Him and to other souls."

From Evelyn Underhill's "Letters", p. 141.

No comments: