Sunday, December 25, 2011

Why I Love My Work

This afternoon I went to bring the Sacrament to our oldest parishioner, who celebrated his 105th birthday this past summer. In recent months, he has been unable to come to church on Sundays. In the past he came every Sunday and insisted on coming up to the altar rail, but now he is too shaky on his pins to do it. So I came to him.

It's a challenge to visit with him, because he is terribly deaf. He can only hear if you lean in and yell into his good (not very good, indeed) ear. But one must observe the social niceties of preliminary conversation before the administration of communion.

He looked up and smiled as I walked in. Ever the gentleman, he said "Thanks for coming!" I replied, "It's my pleasure."

With a twinkle in his eye, he said "It must not take much to please you." The ears and legs may not work very well, but the gray matter is fully functional indeed.

Blessings and Merry Christmas, Mr Mac.

No comments: